Resurfacing and reconstruction of the busy A590 off the M6 near Kendal.Read More
- Middleborough Borough Council
- Roads and highways
A66 through-about cargo fleet lane, Middleborough
This scheme was for the construction of a ‘Through-about’, a signalised roundabout with two lanes of traffic in each direction running through the middle, at the A66/A171 Cargo Fleet Lane junction, together with the introduction of a signal-controlled crossroads at the junction of Cargo Fleet Lane and South Bank Road.
The construction included the conversion of the existing A66 Cargo Fleet Lane Roundabout into the ‘Through-About’ and the removal of the existing roundabout at the junction of South Bank Road and Cargo Fleet Lane and construction of a signalised crossroads.
The works included:
• extensive traffic and pedestrian management
• site clearance & bulk earthworks
• installation of new surface water and highway drainage system
• installation of ducting system for street lighting, CCTV, comms.
• full carriageway construction and reconstruction
• design and installation of high-level lighting
• construction of new footways and cycleways; reconstruction and improvements to existing footways and cycleways
• installation of new traffic signals system
• installation of road signs, road markings, and street lighting
• installation of safety barriers and guardrails
• construction of new 50m long 1.5m high RC retaining wall
The traffic management involved full closures of Cargo Fleet Lane between the A66 and South Bank Road. Fully signed diversion routes were established and maintained to minimise disruption with regular patrols by the TSCO to ensure that all signs remained in place and visible.
The A66 is a major high speed (50mph) dual carriageway link from the A1(M) into Middlesbrough and one of the contract constraints required that at least two lanes were maintained in each direction between 07:00 and 19:00 Monday to Saturday. We applied for and implemented a TTRO to reduce the speed limit down to 30mph in an attempt to improve the safety of our site personnel working immediately adjacent to the live carriageway.
The existing A66/Cargo Fleet roundabout housed an artwork/sculpture, “Blaze”, consisting of over 500nr steel posts up to 3m high which we individually photographed, numbered, and referenced prior to carefully taking them down and transporting them to safe storage for later re-erection by elsewhere in Middlesbrough.
Reconstruction & widening of a partially collapsed double arch masonry road bridge over the River…Read More
Widening of the existing footways including large areas of surfacing to improve the difficulties experienced…Read More
Major repair and maintenance works to a Grade 1 Listed Structure.Read More