Temporary works to supply, install and extract sheet piles for a pipeline landfall cofferdamRead More
Steel Piles come in many forms. Structural Members such as universal columns, universal beam and circular hollow section are regularly used for structural bearing piles and foundations as well as elements of combi wall systems more commonly seen in marine and harbour applications.
Steel sheet piles are hot rolled sections of steel formed with Larssen type interlocks which are driven into the ground to provide temporary or permanent lateral earth retention and excavation support.
Steel piles can be used for a variety of retaining wall solutions including cantilever; propped and anchored walls; permanent retaining walls; temporary cofferdams; conventional and marine steel piling; permanent sheet pile basements; flood defence walls and king post walls.
The advantages of using steel and sheet piles for retaining wall solutions can be summarised as follows;
- Significantly quicker construction times and more cost effective than for either traditional reinforced concrete walls or concrete piled walls.
- Sheet piles can be supplied in a variety of lengths; section size and steel grades.
- Off site production – Steel sheet piles are preformed sections manufactured away from site providing a higher quality solution.
- Re-Usable and recyclable.
- Steel piles can be used for temporary works or permanent installations.
- Made from recycled materials.
- Sheet piles are suitable in many ground conditions and can be installed using Vibratory, Vibrationless or even percussive driving methods.
- Permanent sheet piling provides a narrow form of construction which can be installed close to site boundary thus maximising usable development footprint.
- There is no waste produced during installation works.
- No curing period is required for sheet piles, allowing excavation and construction to commence immediately.
- Steel sheet piles are designed with interlocking clutches to facilitate pitching as well as driving and results in a continuous wall with a series of closely fitting joints, providing an effective barrier against groundwater ingress.
- Steel sheet piling is used in many types of temporary works and permanent structures. The section are designed to provide the maximum strength and durability at the lowest possible weight consistent with good driving qualities.